After the American Revolution, the states needed money to pay their soldiers, so taxes were levied. Kind of ironic since they had just fought a war about taxes, but at least this time the colonists had representatives, unlike before.
Thing is, alot of people didn’t like the idea of new taxes. Daniel Shay’s led a group of farmers in a revolt. Their revolt ultimately drew attention to the need for a Constitution.
– Look at our timeline for a brief recap.
– Heritage Studies 3 – Read pages 2, 3, & 5. Then read pg 4.
– Watch the video below
– Discussion Questions (courtesy Mr Matusek’s blog):
– – What did Shays & his fellow Farmers seek relief from?
– – What caused the scarcity of money?
– – What did the farmers demand?
– – What was the biggest thing to come from Shays’ Rebellion?
– Activity — Pretend to be one of Shays’ farmers. Write a letter to the newspaper explaining what you think the state should do.
– — Alternative Activity – Write a blog post summarizing what you’ve learned about Shays’ Rebellion.
http://www.history.com/images/media/interactives/ShaysRebellion.pdf – companion PDF to the video above
http://www.ushistory.org/us/15a.asp — a bit of history about Shays’ Rebellion
http://freepdfdb.org/ppt/shays-rebellion-for-kids — power points