It wasn’t easy to face the fact that we would be losing our home. Believe me, I fought it. I begged the mortgage company to reconsider, I applied for work to try to help make ends meet. The more I fought it, the more anxious and upset I became. So I prayed. We prayed then discussed it, and decided to stop trying to fight it. We decided on a Short Sale, and made plans to move into my mom’s house with her & my sister & brother-in-law. The instant we came to that decision, a sense of peace filled me. It was such a relief after weeks of fighting the inevitable. I know we were blessed to have a place to go, but the blessings didn’t end there.
We needed a realtor, and fast. I knew the woman who had sold us the house was no longer a realtor, but we figured she’d know someone we could trust. Laurie Wagner had been amazing when she helped us find the house, and really trusted her. A quick google search found her new contact information, and phone call later we had a referral.
Buck Heffernan was an answer to prayer. A former Navy guy, and a solid Christian, he had such a calming influence from the moment he stepped in the door. He let us know what we would need and who we would need to talk to to make this happen. He was a God-send. If you are in the market for a realtor in the Hampton Roads area, I highly recommend Mr. Heffernan.
Thing was, the housing market in our neighborhood was dismal. Not much had sold in the past 2 years, and there were houses on the market for over a year. We needed to sell quickly. It wasn’t looking good. Then the state government enacted the tolls, and the city council made noises about raising the water rates again and other market-killing moves, and it seemed like all hope was lost. But despite that, I just knew the house would sell. I felt like we’d be out by the end of April – an impossibility considering the market and the amount of hoops and paperwork we had ahead of us, but still, I just had this peace about the whole thing. So we put the house on the market and stepped out on faith.
February passed, and no showings. March was almost over without a showing. I started to doubt just a little. I started thinking, maybe June? Hopefully? We kept praying, and trusting God to make this happen. I researched truck rentals and started packing boxes. The books were first. We use LibraryThing to catalog our large book collection, so I used that to mark which books were in what box. Before long, most of the books and everything else we could live without was packed up. Now there wasn’t much to do but wait.
We’d already been blessed with a place to go and a realtor with connections to make this happen. But with no showings, things were looking bleak. On top of that, our mortgage hit the 7-year mark and our payment increased. Would the blessings continue? Was this a test of my faith? Stay tuned for part 3.
Read the whole story: