Where to find the Family Tree

Because of changes that Word Press made to how their blogs work, it has become too difficult for me to keep this site updated. However, that has not stopped the research! I have at least two different lines of Yuriars identified, and have been working on both Ancestry and FamilySearch to find more connections.

You can find the Clemente Yuriar line on Ancestry.com here, and on FamilySearch.org here.

You can find the Martin Yuriar line on Ancestry.com here, and on FamilySearch.org here.

I am always searching for new clues, if you have any information that may be helpful, please contact me!

Anastasio “Tacho” Yuriar Viera

Anastasio Yuriar

Anastasio Yuriar Viera (Clemente)
Born: Abt May 1873
Christened: 19 May 1873 in San Ignacio De Loyola, San Ignacio, Sinaloa, Mexico.
Died: Nov 8, 1944

The son of Clemente Yuriar & Trinidad Viera, he was a hat maker in Culiacán. His store was called “El Sombrero Rojo”. His nickname, Tacho, likely comes from his occupation. “Tacho” refers to a bin, perhaps like one that could be used in the felt-making process.  Fun fact: Mercury was used in the felt-making process to smooth the felt.

In early January 1910, Anastacio was introduced to Francisco Madero.  Senor Madero must have made quite an impression, because  Tacho helped to form the Culiacán branch of Madero’s political party, the Partido Nacional Antireelectionistas.  While his brother Benjamin was fighting with Villa to free Mexico from the grip of Porfirio Díaz, Anastasio choose to fight Porfirio Díaz in the political arena.


Anastasio at work

He had 2 children with Librada Canavallis – Ricardo, and Maria Matlide. Librada and Anastasio had a falling out.  She took the kids and left, eventually immigrating to the US. Maria Matilde died during the journey to America. Ricardo’s son Jon lives in CA.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Anastasio also had several children with Joaquina Manjerrez. He married her in March of 1919. According to their marriage license, they already had 3 daughters when they got married – Maria Lousia, Maria Elisa, & Maria Rosa. After they married, they had several more children – Anastasio, Maria Carmen, Maria Aurora, and Julio.

Family folklore has always said that he served as Mayor of Culiacán for a while.  However, according to the city’s website, he was never mayor. A pamphlet about the history of Culiacán states that in December 1917 he lost an election for a council seat due to election fraud. The state congress appointed a someone else to disputed seat, however it’s possible that he won election as a councilman later in life.  We do know that he was a delegate for something to do with farmers and agriculture in 1944 when he was shot & killed by someone named Lencho.  Lencho was caught and imprisoned for his crime.

“En una de tantas asambleas hizo acto de presencia don Lencho. Como buen manejador de armas dio muerte a balazos al joven delegado de la Agraria, que en vida llevó el nombre de Anastacio Yuriar (era culichi). Cuando el malechor llegó a la asamblea la mayoría de los asistentes escucharon voz de súplica: “¡No lo hagas, Lencho!”. Sobró quien dijera que fue doña Serafina. El malechor fue castigado; su condena fue prisión.”  (quote from an article at debate.com.mx that has since been memory-holed.)


Baby Mama:  Librada Canavallis


Spouse: Joaquina Manjerrez



From left to right: Elisa, Joaquina holding Jose Julian, Carmen, Rosa (seated), Louisa, Anastacio

Tomaz Yuriar

Tomaz Yuriar (Jose)
Born: Approximately 1794
Died: unknown

Tomaz was born sometime in the late 1700s, possibly sometime between 1785 and 1795. He married Eduviges Loaiza Guerrero, I believe, in January of 1820. I have been having trouble trying to translate the marriage record.

Together they had one son that we know of, Clemente Yuriar Loaiza, but they likely had other children. This far back, the research gets harder because of my langauge barrier, and incomplete records available online.

Spouse: Eduviges Loaiza Guerrero

Nicolas Yuriar Mancillas

Nicolas Yuriar Mancillas (Domingo) (Clemente)

Born: Aug 1869 in San Ignacio, Sinaloa, Mexico.
Died: ?? Unknown

World War 1 draft card for Nicolas Yuriar that says he was working for the Southern Pacific Railroad, in Maricopa, Arizona, in Sept 1918, and says he had no physical impairments.  Lists his birthday as Sept 10, 1898, and his mother as Feliciano Mancillas in Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mex.


Then I found a few border crossing documents for several years, one in 1920, 1924, and finally in 1944.  He’s listed as being about 5’3 ½” tall, with black hair and dark eyes.


In 1920, his border crossing paper says he was planning to come here for about 2 months for work. He was a mechanic, headed for Tuscon, AZ.  It says he had previously been to the US from Sept 1918 – Feb 1919. Those dates line up with the WW1 draft card, dated Sept 1918. He had $44 in his pocket, and no friends or relatives to join with.  Virginia Soto came with him in 1920, with here papers saying she was coming to visit.   She’s listed as 22 years old, 5’ 2”, dark hair, dark eyes, dark complexion.  It looks like it says she has a mole on her left lip, but the writing is hard to decipher.  It does say that this is her first time in America though.


His July 1924 border crossing paper mentions that he was now missing the nail from his right middle finger.  His occupation is now a Chauffer, and he’s going to meet up with his friend Juan Ruiz.  He was looking to remain here permanently, and hoping to find work.  Virigina did not accompany him.  She came across in 1925 to visit him, and again in 1926.  Both times, she is accompanied by her daughter, Maria Altagracia Rosario Yuriar.  The 1926 document gives Nicolas’s address as 9?6 E. 12th Street, Los Angeles, California.


They are listed on the 1930 Census as living in Los Angeles, and now Nicolas works for a restaurant.


At some point, Nicholas must have gone back to Mexico for whatever reason, because he is crossing the border back into the USA in 1944, on Dec 7.  It’s hard to read because the scan of the card is so bad, but it looks like he was coming to stay with a Brother-in-Law.  I haven’t found any record of Virigina’s whereabouts at this time, but given that they were not in the 1940 census, it’s possible the family went back to Mexico? I’m not sure.

Domingo Benjamín Yuriar Viera

General Domingo Benjamín Yuriar Viera (Clemente)


Born: Aug 1869 in San Ignacio, Sinaloa, Mexico.
Baptized: 2 Sept 1869 in San Ignacio De Loyola, San Ignacio, Sinaloa, Mexico.
Married: 7 July 1897 in San Ignacio De Loyola, San Ignacio, Sinaloa, Mexico.
Died: Oct 1913 in Torreon, Mexico.

Known to the surviving family as Benjamín, Domingo was baptized on September 2, 1869, as the legitimate son of Clemente Yuriar and Trinidad Viera. His mother’s name was misspelled in the church records as “Biera”.

Benjamín’s first child was born November 4, 1892. The official record of birth does not list the child’s mother, but names him Carlos Yuriar. These older Mexican records often listed age, occupation, origin, etc. Benjamín is recorded to be a 21 year old single man from San Ignacio, currently practicing medicine and living at the Civil Hospital in Mazatlán. This record is even better, because the original record has survived, and Benjamín’s signature is on the bottom.

There is also a baptism record for this child at the Santa Iglesia Catedral, in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico.  Jose Carlos Yuriar was baptized on January 8, 1893, as the legitimate son of Benjamín and Refugio Hernandez. The baptism record says he was born November 4, 1892, and lists his paternal grandparents as Clemente and Trinidad.

Relatives have informed me that Benjamín had another illegitimate son, and said he was born in 1898.  Nicolas Yuriar Mancillas listed September 10, 1898, on his WW1 draft card, but his ages on all the records I’ve found lines up better with a 1897 birthday. Nicolas was born to Felicitas Mancillas in San Ignacio de Loyola, Sinaloa, Mx.

A few months before Nicolas was born, Benjamín married Josefa Deras Bastidas. According to the marriage record, Benjamín was a 26 year old doctor, and Josefa was 18. Benjamín’s parents were both dead, as was Josefa’s father. The marriage was arranged, and agreed to by all parties, including her mother. Interesting tidbit – if my research is correct, Josefa and Benjamín are 3rd cousins via the Bastidas. Their common ancestor would be their great-great grandparents, Rafael Bastidas and Carmen Patron. Also, the judge who recorded the marriage, Jose Maria Bastidas, is likely a cousin as well.

Benjamín and Josefa had 6 children, but at least one of them died very young. Benjamín is listed as a doctor on the first several birth records, but on the 1905 record of the birth and death of his daughter Maria Trinidad Yuriar Deras, Benjamín’s occupation is changed to “industrial”, which could mean any number of things.

D.Benjamín Yuriar was one of Pancho Villa’s generals in the División del Norte in 1913.  He was one of the founding members of the Division, and is most known for being the man Pancho Villa shot for insubordination.  In order to understand the situation Benjamín found himself in that fateful October day in 1913, we need to look at Pancho Villa, and the months leading up to that moment when Villa sentenced him to death.

Villa had started life as an outlaw, but he joined Madero’s revolution against Diaz, serving under Orozco.  When Orozco turned on Madero and joined forces with Huerta to overthrow him, Villa Joined forces with Carranza, and remained loyal to Madero and his ideals.

Huerta’s assassination of Madero angered Villa.  He began to pull together his old military friends and several of the local gangs. Shortly before the first attack on Torreon, Villa and his second in command Juan Medina, held a meeting of all the gang leaders, including Domingo Benjamín Yuriar.  It was decided that the best way to be coordinated during the attack was to have one leader in charge of the battlefield.  Medina nominated Villa, and everyone agreed.  Thus, on September 29, 1913, Yuriar was one of the founding generals of the División del Norte.

Yuriar and his men helped in the first battle of Torreon. He was sent with Generals Benavides and Urbina to guard the plaza and secure the town.

The leaders recognized Villa’s leadership on the battlefield, but not off.  As a result, Carranza ordered Villa to get control of the men and stop the looting.  Meanwhile, Villa, who had previously been back-stabbed by a friend, learned of a threat on his life, so he was on edge.

During the preparations for the next big battle, Juan Medina, a formal Federale and Villa’s right-hand man, advised Villa to leave General Urbina behind.  They were headed to Chihuahua, and would be close to the American border.  Urbina had a reputation for being a wild card. and would often wander off and cause problems.  The last thing Villa needed was America getting mad and coming for him.  So Villa arranged for Urbina to be paid handsomely and given whatever he wanted as long as he stayed behind.  Villa took Yuriar and his men along with Benavides’ Zarragoza brigade as he headed for Chihuahua.

According to articles printed in the Alerta in 1983, Yuriar was over heard complaining to someone at the train station.  He did not like the idea that a former Federale, Medina, was second-in-command.

Other accounts claim General Yuriar was drunk at the time, or that he wanted more money.  One account claims the person Yuriar was complaining to was General Manuel Chao. Chao was known to be jealous of Villa’s position as leader of the division.  He’d tried to organize a division in the north before Villa rode into town, but his efforts failed. The theory follows that Villa chose Yuriar to be an example to the others.  Villa reasoned that he could afford to potentially lose Yuriar’s 10-20 followers if they all chose to go home, however he could not afford to lose Chao’s several hundred followers.

Regardless, the fact remains clear. Villa had General Yuriar shot for insubordination. In an interesting twist, it was Medina who told Villa that Yuriar should have had a trial first.  Villa responded by daring Medina to court martial him if Medina thought he had acted out of order, but that he would not stand for any insubordination.  General Chao remained loyal to Villa, and eventually the revolution was won.

Several decades later, in 1939, the President of Mexico decreed that all who fought in the Revolution against Huerta would be able to get the Cross of Revolutionary Merit.

Found a video that discusses the revolution, and mentions Domingo as one of Villa’s Generals.

Baby Mama:  Refugio Hernandez


  • Jose Carlos Yuriar: 4 November 1892 – ??

Baby Mama:  Felicitas Mancillas


Wife:  Josefa Deras Bastidas


  • Alberto Yuriar Deras: 8 April 1900 – ??
  • Josefa Emilia Yuriar Deras: 6 June 1902 – ??
  • Igancio B. Yuriar Deras: Abt 1903 – ??
  • Domingo Guberto Yuriar Deras: 12 March 1904 – ??
  • Maria Trinidad Yuriar Deras: 4 July 1905 – 4 July 1905
  • Maria Antonieta Yuriar Deras: 16 June 1907 – ??

Research list:

La Batalla De Torreon by Roque Gonzalex Garza, P. Ramos, and J. Perez
Memoirs of Pancho Villa by Martin Luis Guzman
Life and Times of Pancho Villa by Fredrich Katz

Here are the articles from the 1983 series the Alerta printed on the Mexican Revolution.  My husband’s Abuelita only saved the articles that mentioned Benjamin Yuriar:

Maria Aurora Yuriar Manjerrez

Maria Aurora Yuriar Manjerrez (Anastacio, Clemente)

Born: August 13, 1922, Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico
Immigration: about 1959
Naturalized: 1987
Died: March 7, 1999, Brawley, California

Aurora's Birth Certificate

Aurora’s Birth Certificate

Maria Aurora was born on 13 Aug 1922 in Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico. In the early 1940’s, she had a son with ALEJANDRO PALACUELOS. A few years after the birth of her son, Aurora’s father was shot and killed on the debate stage.  Four years later, her mother died.  About ten years after the birth of her first son, she had another son with GUILLERMO JORDAN EMBREG.

In 1959, Aurora brought her sons to America.  Her older son, then in his late teens, got a job working in vineyards. Her younger son would go on to join the military during the Vietnam War.  She was given a Social Security number in 1964.

Nico & Aurora

Nico & Aurora

She hooked up with NICOLAS “NICO” GARCIA in 1975.  They lived together on a little farm in Westmorland, California, for years.  On 20 Jul 1987 in Yuma, Arizona, they made it official legally.  Her younger son and his wife served a witnesses at their court wedding.  A couple of months later, Aurora was naturalized, and became and United States citizen.

Maria Aurora was known as “Abuelita” to her grandchildren.  I only met her once when we went to visit in 1998.  She was well into her 70’s by then, and used a walker to get around.  She was still a sweetheart, and very petite. I’m 5’8″, and she barely reached my shoulders.

1998-03-AbuelitasroosterI remember I took a picture of a rooster. It had caught my attention because it was crowing.  I thought it looked beautiful.  However, being the pre-digital camera days, my photo didn’t come out nearly as beautiful as I had hoped.  But I took the picture of the rooster, and I remember Abuelita laughing and asking her grandson, my husband, what I was doing. I didn’t speak Spanish very well, and she didn’t speak English, so my husband was our translator. When he told her that I thought it looked pretty, she just shook her head at this silly girl from the city and her fascination with the rooster.  I remember her complaining to my husband that the rooster drove her crazy with his constant crowing. “Otra vez, otra vez,” she told him.



Years later, long after her death, I put together a digital scrapbook page of the event, complete with the photos of out trip out the farm and everything.  It was part of a challenge that asked us to scrap about the important women in our lives.  Even though I’d only met her that one time, she was important to me because of the influence she had in my husband’s life while he was growing up.  I submitted the page to a digital scrapbook magazine, and it got published! It appeared in Simple Scrapbook‘s Digital Scrapbooking 3 edition, pg 97.

She died March 7, 1999, in Westmorland, California. She was buried in Riverview Cemetery, Brawley, CA.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Anastacio Yuriar Manjerrez

Anastacio Yuriar Manjerrez (Anastacio, Clemente)

Born: abt 1921, Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico
Died: abt 1956, Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico

The marriage license for Anastacio’s parents, dated March 1919, only lists his sisters, Luisa, Carmen, Elisa, and Rosa. Originally I was told that Anastacio was born before his sister Maria Aurora, and Jose Julian was born last. However, birth records for Julian and Aurora prove Julian was born after Rosa and before Aurora. There is also a birth record for Jose Clemente. While I have not been able to find any records of this child yet, mathematically speaking, Anastacio was likely born in 1923 or 1924.

According to the information provided by his sister’s granddaughter on Family Search, Anastacio Yuriar Manjerrez died sometime about 1956.

Maria Rosa Yuriar Manjerrez

Maria Rosa Yuriar Manjerrez (Anastacio, Clemente)

Born: 4 Sept 1918, Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico
Died: 7 May 1996 in Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico

Maria Rosa is listed on her parents’ marriage license as being 7 months old when they got married on March 30, 1919. She married RICARDO VELAZQUEZ PEREDA in 1939. She has at least one daughter.  She died on May 7, 1996.

Maria Rosa at work. I don't know which woman is Maria.

Maria Rosa at work. I don’t know which woman is Maria.

Spouse:  Ricardo Velazquez Pereda


  • Living Daughter